Thursday, April 28, 2011

Thoughts on slut faces and slut clothes, so called.

One commentator (http://thegloss.com/sex-and-dating/the-misanthropologist-is-slut-face-a-thing/) wonders if it’s possible to broadcast that one is a slut without really adorning oneself like a slut.

I don’t like this from the word go. Isn’t it a free country? But I mean to try to parse it.

What does it mean to “dress like a slut”? BTW, this is a conversation about communicating stuff through what you wear… not about morality, promiscuity, randomly deepthroating large cocks or refraining from same. That’s better addressed by someone who cares.

Yup, yup, free country. Hold on … wait … tramp stamps, lucite heels, long obviously fake nails, lewd T-shirts … hmmmm … these are all pretty obvious visual markers indicating… something.

But I’m not sure this is a matter of being a slut. It’s just plain old bad taste.

After all, there are countless ways to dress in a manner that’s sexually suggestive without being overt and to attract attention from the opposite sex at the same time.

I like surprises. For a few weeks a couple of years ago, I dated a girl who could not have been nicer or more considerate. She generally wore very modest outfits and came from an extremely conservative family. However I noticed she never, ever wore any underwear, whether with business attire, short dresses, shorts, etc. When I asked her about it, she just matter-of-factly said that she just did not like panties, period. Fair enough! I thought it was a cute idiosyncracy.

I think it’s important to distinguish what it means to dress for yourself and to dress for other people, and I think somewhere in there lies the answer to the question of whether or not it’s reasonable for people to draw a stupid conclusion like whether or not you get inseminated by lots of different men.

I don’t find it hard to believe that a girl could honestly dress for herself and come off looking like a so-called slut.

So I guess, yeah, you can dress like a slut, but that doesn’t mean you are one. And people who assume anything are being pretty doggone lazy. What you should do is dress for yourself. Perhaps what you see in the mirror is a turn-on. I have known girls who wore hot outfits on their nights in, all alone, for no other reason than that they enjoyed doing so. Perhaps you don’t give a damn what people think, and are dressing up solely to turn on your significant other. I’ve certainly had many girls do that for me, and assuming the circumstances warrant (i.e., we’re not going to church or meeting my stepmother), I usually really appreciate it and bask in the glow. It kind of creates a subtle chemical buzz that says, I like you, I am aware of you, now let’s go have some fun. If people get confused because they’re being lazy, misogynistic or just plain dumb, well, fuck ’em.

Save the clear heels though. I am going back home if you show up with them on.

No comments:

Post a Comment